How do I connect my HP DeskJet 2600 to my Mac?
Step 1: Prepare for installation
Before installing the printer software and connecting to your wireless network, check the requirements, turn on the computer and the router, and set up the printer.
- To use your printer on a wireless network, you need the following items:
- A computer connected to your wireless network
- Internet access: HP recommends broadband Internet access such as cable or DSL for software downloads, using Web Services, and getting printer updates.
- Make sure the router and computer are turned on, and that the computer is connected to the same wireless network to which you want to connect the printer.
- Set up the printer, load paper into the input tray, and install the ink cartridges. For more information about setting up the printer, go to First Time Printer Setup.
- Turn on the printer and place it close to the computer and within range of the router during the setup procedure.
- Disconnect any USB cables from the printer, if necessary.
Step 2: Restore default wireless settings on the printer
Reset the wireless settings on the printer so the connection completes successfully.
- On the printer control panel, make sure the wireless light is blinking and the power button light is bright. If the light is not bright, press the power button to wake the printer from sleep mode.
- If the wireless light is not blinking, press and hold the Wireless button and the Cancel button at the same time for 3 seconds.The wireless light blinks. Repeat these steps if the wireless light does not blink.
- Immediately continue to the next step to install the software. You have approximately 120 minutes to complete the software setup using the HP auto wireless connect feature.
Step 3: Install the software and print driver
On the computer, you want to print from, start the HP print driver and software installation.
- Go to 123.hp.com/dj2600, and then click Download.
- After the software downloads, open HP Easy Start.
- Click Set Up My HP Product.
- On the Terms and Conditions screen, click Accept.
- On the Prepare screen, click Continue.Figure : The Prepare screen
- On the printer control panel, make sure the power button light is bright. If the light is not bright, press the power button to wake the printer from sleep mode.
- The Connect screen lists your printer series and serial number as [Ready to connect]. If the printer is not displayed, repeat the steps to restore the default wireless settings.
- On the Connect screen select the printer, and then click Continue.Figure : The Connect screen
- After the installation checks your network configuration, the Connect screen displays your printer and your wireless network SSID with a Join button between them.
After clicking Join, the computer is temporarily disconnected from the wireless network while the connection is set up.
- If the network name is correct, click Join.
- If the network name is not correct, click the network name, select the correct network from the drop-down list, and then click Join.
- When HP Easy Start requests access to the selected wireless network keychain on the Mac, click Allow. This access allows the app to retrieve the password for the wireless network and use it to connect the printer.
- If you click Deny, HP Easy Start prompts you to enter the password manually.
- If HP Easy Start cannot locate the wireless network password, the installer prompts you to enter the password manually.
Figure: Keychain request
- Once the wireless network password is accepted, HP Easy Start sets up the printer and connects it to the network. When the check mark displays, click Continue.Figure: Completed Connect screen
- Read and respond to each of the setup screens until the Install screen displays.
- Select HP Essential Software, HP Easy Scan, and any additional software you want to install for the printer, and then click Install.
Figure: The Install screen
- After the selected software installs, click Continue.
- Read and respond to each of the setup screens until the Enable Printing screen displays.
- Click Add Printer to create a print queue.Figure: The Enable Printing screen
- On the Add window, select the name of your printer with the text Bonjour listed under Kind, click the Use or Print Using box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu.Figure: Select your printer name in the Add window
- Click Add to add the printer to the list.
- Click Print Test Page to confirm the printer was set up correctly.
- After the test page prints, click Continue.
You can now print, copy, or scan.